The Department of Linguistics, Languages and Literature is one of the oldest and largest departments in the Faculty of Arts having been established in the 1970s. It is located at the Main Campus, Education Building, third floor. The main office is room 310.
Until recently it was known as the Department of Linguistics and African Languages. The name was changed in 2005 following the restructuring of academic Departments across the University. The Department has forty three academic members of staff, three administrative staff and two technical staff.
The main focus of research in the Department is the languages of East and Central Africa with a bias on the languages of Kenya shown in the Ethnologue below.
Research in Communication is also underscored. Other thematic areas housed under the department are Arabic, Chinese, German studies, Korean and Portuguese.
Since inception the Department has had nice Chairpersons as listed below;
- Prof. Jane Akinyi Oduor Ngala - 2018 to Date
- Prof. Kithaka wa Mberia - 2013 - 2018
- Prof. John Habwe - 2011 - 2013
- Prof. Mwenda Mbatiah - 2005 - 2011
- Prof. Kithaka wa Mberia - 2001 - 2005
- Prof. George B. Nyombe - 1994 - 2001
- Prof. Lucia N. Omondi - 1989 - 1994
- Prof. Karega Mutahi - 1986 - 1989
- Prof. Mohamed H. Abdulaziz -1971 - 1986