The proposed PhD in interpretation is intended to respond to the situation outlined in the philosophy of this course by providing students who wish to undertake doctoral studies in interpretation, with an opportunity to delve into the theoretical and practical depths of interpretation in which they have research interest. The course also gives such students an opportunity to acquire necessary competences and to advance their research and practical skills.
University of Nairobi policies and regulations on examinations in relation to examination malpractices, disciplinary action and mode of appeal shall apply.
Examination shall include both the written examinations and thesis examination.
- Common regulations governing all the taught PhD examinations of the University of Nairobi shall apply. A student shall take written and practical examinations at the end of each semester for the taught course units.
- The end of semester examinations shall constitute 60% of the total course marks and continuous assessments shall account for the remaining 40%.
- Continuous assessment shall consist of class attendance and presentations, seminar presentations and written assignments.
- Each taught course unit shall be examined through a three (3) hour written or practical examination at the end of the semester in which it is taken.
- The pass mark for each course shall be 50%.
- A student who fails in any one course unit shall be allowed to sit for a supplementary examination in the failed unit within one semester. A student maybe allowed up to maximum of two supplementary examinations.
- A pass obtained in the supplementary examination shall be recorded as 50%
- A student who fails to complete the course work in the prescribed time shall, on the recommendation of the Board of Examiners of the Centre, the Graduate School, and by the approval of Senate, be discontinued
- A candidate who, for a good cause, fails to sit for an examination may be allowed to take a special examination, when such examinations are next scheduled. The results of a special examination shall be treated like the results of an ordinary first attempt examination
- A student who fails in up to one-third of the course units in an academic year shall be allowed to take supplementary examinations in the course unit(s) failed when such examinations are next scheduled. A student who fails more than one-third of the course units shall, on the recommendation of the Academic Board of Examiners of the Centre, the Graduate School and approval by Senate, be allowed to repeat the whole course.
- A student who fails any course unit after repeating the whole course shall, on the recommendation of the Academic Board of Examiners of the Centre, the Graduate School and approval by Senate, be discontinued.
- A candidate who fails a supplementary examination shall be allowed to repeat the supplementary examination once. A candidate who fails the supplementary exam at the second attempt or fails to complete the programme within the stipulated period shall, on the recommendation of the Academic Board of Examiners of the Centre, the Graduate School and approval by Senate, be discontinued
- The university of Nairobi regulations in relation to examination malpractices, disciplinary action and mode of appeal shall apply.
The common regulations governing admission into PhD programmes at the University of Nairobi shall apply.
- In addition, applicants must be holders of a Master of Arts in Interpretation degree from the University of Nairobi or any other institution recognized by the University of Nairobi Senate.
- In addition to the requirements in (i) above, the applicant must have high level proficiency in English and one or more of the following languages: French, Kiswahili, Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, and German. Candidates with local African languages shall be able to use them for research and as additional languages in their practice.
- To ascertain proficiency in the applicant’s working languages, pre-qualified candidates shall sit and pass an entrance examination.
Fees and Funding
|DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN INTERPRETATION(Y72)|
|Course Work - 6units|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||1,000.00|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000.00|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500.00|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000.00|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250.00|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000.00|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000.00|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000.00|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000.00|
|1||Semester 1||3 Units||152,750.00|
|Semester 2||3 Units||125,250.00|