The aim of this syllabus is to train competent teachers and lecturers of various subjects in theoretical and applied linguistics, competent researchers in the same areas, and people capable of describing any language spoken in Kenya. Its specific objectives are:
- to offer students an advanced knowledge of the main areas of theoretical linguistics and applied linguistics, namely
- Discourse Analysis,
- to equip the students with the necessary knowledge to help solve language related problems in society;
- to equip students with the necessary knowledge to do research in linguistics and language related areas.
Contacts of Support Persons
Prof. Helga Schroeder - email@example.com (+254734343452)
Prof. Mohammed Abdul Aziz
Prof. Okoth Okombo
Prof. Kithaka wa Mberia
Prof. John Habwe
Mode of Delivery
- The program shall be offered through face-to-face interactions between the instructor and the learner.
- The program shall be offered full-time, part-time and through Open, Distance and Electronic Learning (OdeL) mode of study.
The common regulations governing the Master’s degree in the University of Nairobi shall apply.
A candidate seeking admission to the program shall be required to have a first degree in Linguistics.
Subject to the common regulations governing the Master’s degree in the University of Nairobi, the minimum qualification for the M.A. in Linguistics shall be a Lower Second Class Honours degree, or equivalent, obtained from an institution recognized by the University of Nairobi Senate.
Career Prospects/ Opportunities
- Translation and Interpretation Services in AU
- University teaching
- Communications officers
Fees and Funding
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||1,000.00|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500.00|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000.00|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000.00|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000.00|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000.00|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250.00|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000.00|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000.00|
|Sem2 ,3,5 or 6||1 unit||24,250.00|
|Sem4, 7, or 10||1 unit||46,750.00|
|Project in sems 4 or 7||142,750.00|
|SUMMARY OF TOTAL FEES|