The study of Arabic literature entails a comprehensive analysis of the major components of literature in Arabic, including, but not limited to poetry, prose and theatre. Focus is put on the study of literary components such as imagery and music, literary creation, outstanding literary figures in the classical and contemporary periods, study and analysis of selected texts and literary composers such as: Nobel leurates Najib Mahfouz, Taha Hussein, Ahmad Shawqi and Hafidh Ibrahim. Further, there is the analysis of theoretical issues and problems in literature, illustrations by epochs of Arabic literature, development and changes in format and content, comparison of Arabic literature and European and African literatures, modern Arabic literature and literary systems versus contemporary systems.
Head Of Thematic Area
Members Of Thematic Areas
Research Projects Of Thematic Area
Degree Programmes/Course Units Linked To Thematic Area
1. CLA 303: Historical Development of Arabic.
2. CLA 307: Classical Arabic Poetry.
3. CLA 308: Classical Arabic Prose.
4. CLA 309: Introduction of Arabic Literary Criticism.
4. CLA 310: Introduction to Arabic Rhetoric.
6. CLA 311: Analysis of Poetry as a Study in Style.
7. CLA 312: Analysis of Prose as a Study in Style.
8. CLA 401: Development of Modern Arabic Literature.
9. CLA 403: Modern Arabic Poetry.
10. CLA 404: Modern Arabic Prose.
11. CLA 409: Advanced Studies of Arabic Rhetoric.
12. CLA 408: Modern Approach to the Arabic Literary Criticism.
13. CLA 412: Arabic Drama.
14. CLA 504: Theory of Literature
15. CLA 505: Arabic Poetry
16. CLA 506: Comparative Literature
17. CLA 508: Contemporary Arabic Literature and Culture
18. CLA 510: Arabic Drama
19. CLA 606: Arabic Rhetoric and Prosody
20. CLA 609: Arabic Prose
21. CLA 610: Project Paper
Possible Career Opportunities